Thursday, February 24, 2011

Video Games and Power Metal

After continuously refreshing The Escapist’s homepage around 10am this morning (don’t judge me), I watched the newest episode of Extra Credits. In summation: go watch it.


Now that we’re on the same page, the episode got me thinking about one particular bit of EA marketing for Dragon Age: Origins that really confused me. Anybody remember this trailer?



Anybody else bothered by the music choice? Don’t get me wrong; I’ve got no issues with Marilyn Manson. However, I don’t believe his music fits the soundtrack of a fantasy RPG. As long as you ignore the song’s message about a dying music industry it would probably suit a trailer for Bulletstorm or a misguided, overly angst-ridden AMV. (the editing in the video is actually pretty good)

With all that said, pointing out a problem without proposing a solution is a practice I look down upon, so let’s get to the point of this post. Have you, dear reader, heard of Power Metal?






Power Metal is a fantastic genre of metal that I really wish more people knew existed. If you ever were curious about what would happen if The London Philharmonic incorporated the electric guitar… that pretty much sums it up actually. What I’m getting at here is that I’d like to know why we have not seen more of this type of music in video games? The combination of fast-paced insanity and motivational blasts of triumphant glory seem like the perfect complement to taking on legions of skeletons with the new fire spell I just learned. Still not convinced? Just listen to this for a moment.




I understand that making games is just like every other business. Licensing music costs money and generally when thinking about a game’s soundtrack one has to consider their target audience’s interests, but I think gamers are about ready for something new. We already know nobody liked hearing Godsmack in the soundtrack to Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and that simply having an orchestral score in an RPG has become so expected that only the exceptional get any attention. So, game composers, how about unleashing the power of metal? I promise you won’t regret it.


No comments:

Post a Comment